from Somerset, Devon and Dorset
© Andrew Templer 2022
James Templer Mary Templer nee Parlby
James Templer (1722-
Boat builders need wharfs, slipways, wet docks, dry docks and supporting facilities. Seamen and their vessels require victualling. On land Georgian dockyards comprised storehouses, roperies, sail lofts, rigging stores, hemp laying, spinning, yarn and tarring houses and so on. Officers’ needed housing, Marines their barracks. Naval Hospitals and Victualling Yards, too, were vital support buildings. All these, and more, were constructed by Templer and Parlby for the Navy Board in the Royal Dockyards along the south coast of England over a 50 year period. James Templer was the driving force in the business, Thomas Parlby ‘his leading man’.
To understand their contribution to the of Templer and Parlby it is necessary to understand the process of evolution which took place in the Royal Dockyards from the run-
Templer, a house carpenter, and Parlby, a mason, emerged from the ranks of dockyard workers to answer the call. Together they created a large and effective firm of dockland contractors, capable of working in any of the Royal Dockyards of the day, drawing labour from far afield. Their business interests were passed down to later generations of both families and seem to vanish only after the dockyard expansion years faded in 1815 with the bringing of peace. Even then, the Templer family interests in granite and clay workings extended in one form or another until the 1840s.
The family history of the Templers and Parlbys are as interesting as their commercial activities, which brought them wealth. James Templer, born in Exeter, married Mary Parlby at Greenwich in 1747 and settled in Rotherhithe, where most of his 11 children were born. By 1755 he was ‘under contract for repairing the stern of the double dock at Deptford Yard’, transporting Portland stone in vessels from Weymouth. It is not clear when James went into partnership with his brother-
JAMES TEMPLER, born in St. Mary Major, Exeter the 17 April 1722, was christened the 30 April 1722, died in Stover, Devon the 4 March 1782, son of THOMAS TEMPLER and GRACE HINDS), married MARY PARLBY, the 4 September 1745 in GREENWICH (born the 17 August 1728 in Chatham, Kent and died the 21 June 1764 in Globe Inn, Newton Abbot).
In 1728 Thomas Templer, a poor tradesman in Exeter, died leaving his family destitute. His sixth son, James, then only six, was sent to an orphanage known as the Blue Coat School. At 14, James was apprenticed to John Bickley, an Exeter architect, but after three years he decided he had had enough of what in those days a form of servitude, little better than slavery. Risking severe punishment if caught, he absconded and ran away to sea.
He became a shipwright on a vessel sailing between Plymouth and Rotherhyde. There he obtained employment as a builder, and put his knowledge of building to such good account that by the time he was 25 he was in partnership with Henry Line and Thomas Parlby. They were engaged in completing Government works in Plymouth. James Templer married his partner's sister Mary Parlby and together with Henry (John?) Line returned in 1752 to Devon having become, at aged 30, a very rich man.
Thirteen years later, at Teigh Bruer, now known as Teigngrace, but mentioned in the Doomsday Book as belonging to Ralph de Bruer, James bought a large estate which belonged at the time to the Courtenay family. The estate included most of the land known as Bovey Heath. It was mostly bog but contained granite, china clay, iron ore and lignite, but no coal. There was a derelict Mansion House known, and marked on Don's Map of Devon 1765, as Stoford Lodge. His partner Henry (John?) Line bought an estate at Lindridge, near Bishopsteignton.
At that time great developments were taking place industrially, not only as a result of needs of the China Clay industry but with machinery of all kinds. Transport was a great problem and there were few roads. Everything had to be moved over bridle paths by pack horses. Steam engines, railways and canals were being developed and it was James Templer who had in mind the making of what came to be known as the Stover Canal.
Stoford Lodge was well placed for communications as there were coach routes from London to Plymouth and from Bristol and Bath. He pulled down Stoford Lodge and on the hill overlooking the Bovey Basin near Weolfred Mound built a new mansion, calling it Stover House. This mound is according to legend, where the Danish Captain Weolfred and his men were buried after being defeated by King Alfred. The house was built with granite from the Haytor Quarries. The granite had to be carried to the site by horse and cart over the boggy land. It is not known who the architect was, maybe himself as he was apprenticed to one, but the interior decorations are clearly in the style of Robert Adam. Templer drained the Bovey Basin, which was normally water filled for six months, and created the Stover Lake, now part of the Stover Country Park, and a drive leading to the granite Lodge (its impressive gates commonly known to many as "Marble Arch") on the main Exeter to Plymouth road. He is also said to have planted 20,000 trees and to have begun the construction of the garden and stables. He left his mark on the side of the house facing Haytor-
In his time there were regular threats of invasion by Napoleon and, as in many country mansions, provision had to be made for securing escape routes. Behind the stables he constructed stalls for stabling horses secretly. At least two well built underground passages still exist between Stover House and the Stables, though these are now sealed up. When danger had passed, James erected the portico in front of the house to celebrate the victory of Trafalgar.
4 March 1782 after drinking "mineral" water at Bellamarsh, Devon, he developed a fever and died aged nearly 60, He is buried in Teigngrace Church, which in 1787 was rebuilt by members of the Templer family. The new church includes a vault where many Templers were subsequently buried.
Date Unknown -
Date Unknown -
Date Unknown -
This is almost certainly folklore as the Madras docks were built after this period and the reference to silver makes a reference to Mr Templer and not specifically to James. We have found no truth in this story. It is more likely that James makes his way to London and meets up with John Parlby and starts to work for him, marries this John’s daughter and forms a partnership with Thomas, Mary’s brother.
One Grace Templer (James' mother?) marries a Richard Galsworthy on 15 April 1745 at Morchard Bishop, north of Exeter.
Date Unknown -
It is at this time that James declares that he is descendant of a Colonel of Horse who came over with William of Orange. Again this is a white lie to hide his humble beginnings but this story is perpetuated for nearly 200 years and leads the family to believe that the Salmon Pool and Stover families are separate. In a burial record for a church in Exeter there were two records, one for Thomas Templer, d. 1st January 1719 and the second for a Captain (sic) in ye service of William of Orange (no name given). Someone in the past has read this and the myth has started.
Templer & Parlby (and others) -
Templer & Parlby: eighteenth century contractors (Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers) August 2010 written by Stuart Drabble
To close any picture press Alt + Left Arrow